Rooftop waterproofing is very important because terraces are subject to the extreme environment and heavy weather conditions, which might affect the internal dry area of the house.
To avoid any problems, especially related to leakage and damages related to water infiltration, it is important that your rooftop is fitted with waterproofing service by an experienced specialist.
Why is rooftop waterproofing necessary?
During harsh rainstorms, water can accumulate on your roof and seep through roof cracks, damaging your commercial building. As a result, mold and mildew could grow on your walls, and the wooden components of your building can rot. You can prevent moisture damage to your commercial space by waterproofing your rooftop. Whether your roof is flat or sloped, we can help you have a high-quality, safe with our roof waterproofing services.
Instead of spending time and money to replace your whole roof, you can apply a waterproof coating to keep water out of the building. Use this roofing and waterproofing guide to keep moisture away from your commercial roof and all its components in the rain season.
Common waterproofing issues
- Leakage from flat roofs or roof tiles: these problems will happen if there is no proper waterproofing.
- Leakage from external wall: these problems will happen if there is no proper waterproofing. Splash of rain and water coming down from the roof penetrate through porosities inside the wall, which will swell the wall inside. Moreover, there would be excess water on the floor that could lead to problems with floor covering material.
- Leakage through cracks between walls and floors: these problems will occur if there is no proper waterproofing on different areas such as water leaks through cracks between external walls and floors and falls on internal walls. This makes swollen wall, peel-off paint. Water falls down into beams, columns, and makes them swollen as well. Accumulation of water on the ceiling will drop down into the room.
- Water leakage from bathroom upstairs: water permeates through tiling mortars and concrete onto ceilings and makes them peel off with unpleasant yellowish stains.
Why should you choose our rooftop waterproofing service?
Our rooftop waterproofing service can help you:
– Improves Structure Durability
Moisture eats up the strength of your structure if left untreated. Getting an effective roof waterproofing solution will increase its durability.
– Reduces Cost of Repairs
Roof waterproofing service helps save a good amount of money in the long term by reducing the cost of frequent repairs.
– Offers Energy Efficiency
Waterproofing solutions not only provide an effective treatment for leaking roofs but also offer great insulation. It is UV resistant and reduces temperature by 8°C. As a result, it helps you save on utility bills by reducing air conditioning costs.
– Prevents the Onset of Health Concerns
Water seepage through the roof reaches out the different parts of your structure, leading to the growth of mould and mildew, which can impact the quality of the indoor air. Consequently, it may lead to several health concerns for the inhabitants of the place such as wheezing, eye infection, breathing problem, coughing, and skin irritation to name a few. Getting roof waterproofing helps prevent the onset of mentioned health concerns.
– Improves the Life of Interior Work and Furniture
Once water seeps into your walls, it leads to the formation of mould and mildew which, if left untreated, gradually ruins the beauty of your interiors. Waterproofing your roof can help you improve the life of interior work and furniture.
Any structure or building requires waterproofing works as the concrete is unlikely to be water-resistant on its own. Most flats nowadays are basically constructed using reinforced cement concrete, a material that supposedly eradicates all the problems typically experienced by a flat roof. However, such material still needs to be waterproofed. As such, only engage in the waterproofing Singapore services of a trusted waterproofing company to ensure that your roofs will be free from any leakages.
Our rooftop waterproofing method and technology
Maintain and repair your rooftop to prevent leaks from coming into your commercial space and damaging your property. You can apply a sheet of bituminous material or polyurethane liquid waterproofing. Consider the advantages of each to determine which is best for your rooftop.
Bituminous membrane waterproofing
A bituminous membrane sheet made from asphalt with a mixture of sticky organic liquids performs excellently as a waterproofing agent for a low-sloped concrete roof. Since you apply it by torch, you need to consider fire prevention and safety during installation, removing all flammable objects from the site.
During the application process, unfold the bituminous waterproofing membranes and lay them firmly on the surface. The layer of bituminous waterproof membrane shields against water seepage onto the roof. Then, apply roof tiles and the membrane over the filler material to provide adequate water flow into the drains.
Here are some of the advantages of using bituminous membrane waterproofing.
- Resistance to UV heat: Bituminous membrane waterproofing won’t lose its integrity in warm, sunny climates.
- High elongation percentage: Most membranes must have an elongation of 150% to accommodate structural movements, so it’ll protect your roof, even if cracks develop.
- Excellent flexibility: A sheet made from bitumen is flexible enough to take any shape once laid. Since it has high flexibility, it won’t crack, dent or break in harsh weather.
- Resistance to chemicals: This type of waterproofing won’t deteriorate in the presence of debris or factory chemicals.
- Resistance to punctures and fatigue: Whether a considerable force or heavy objects impact the membrane, it has a high tensile strength to withstand ripping and breaking.
- Excellent breathability: Bituminous membrane waterproofing keeps water and vapor out of your commercial building.
- Cost-effectiveness: The installation of bituminous sheets tends to fit within your commercial budget. Since it lasts a long time, you won’t need to replace it as often.
Polyurethane liquid membrane waterproofing
Polyurethane liquid membrane waterproofs your flat roof, especially in unpredictable weather conditions. We put this on a roof with a thin coating or primer and top coating using a trowel, roller or spray. Its durability depends on which polymer type the manufacturer uses, but it generally lasts a little longer than a couple of decades.
Here are some of the advantages of polyurethane liquid membrane waterproofing.
- Ease of installation: The application process typically takes one day, so you can quickly have a waterproof commercial roof.
- Watertight seal: Polyurethane liquid membrane waterproofing doesn’t create joints, so there’s less room for water to seep through it.
- High elongation percentage: Polyurethane liquid membrane stretches up to 280% to accommodate the building’s natural shifting. High-rise buildings or ones made from steel may shift.
- Excellent flexibility: It’s more flexible than other materials, so it can be more resistant to cracks when the building moves. This material offers a seamless waterproofing membrane. It fills all capillary gaps, decreasing the absorbency and hardening its surface.
Materials used for waterproofing
Waterproofing contractors use various materials for both bituminous membrane waterproofing and liquid polyurethane.
Bituminous membrane waterproofing comes in a variety of layers. Choose a top surface from one of these materials to protect the membrane from damage.
- Sand: This material installs easily, and it provides a waterproof, chemical-resistant seal on top of the membrane.
- Slates: Using a membrane with this aesthetically pleasing, reliable material will enhance your commercial roof’s visual appeal.
- Talc: Including talc as the top layer of your waterproofing membrane increases its dimensional stability and durability.
- Polyethylene: This material prevents the panel from sticking during storage and transport, but you can also use it as a protective layer.
- Aluminum: Manufacturers typically install strands of aluminum in a bituminous membrane to seal penetrations and provide optimal waterproofing for your commercial roof.
The next layer, the polymer-bitumen compound, usually consists of one of these materials.
- Atactic PolyPropylene (APP): APP Modified Bitumen is a plastomeric waterproofing material that contains a mixture of bitumen and selected polymers, resulting in excellent UV and heat resistance and waterproofing properties once you torch it onto the roof.
- Styrene-Butadiene-Styrene (SBS): SBS Modified Bitumen is a plastomeric waterproofing membrane that protects concrete surfaces from moisture damage. This membrane is impermeable to water and very flexible around uniquely shaped roofs.
The next layer of bituminous membrane waterproofing is its reinforcement, made from one of these materials.
- Fiberglass: A dimensionally stable reinforcement core of non-woven fiberglass can protect concrete surfaces from water damage, especially in warm, tropical regions.
- Polyester: This material has a high elongation percentage and provides optimal strength to the membrane. Polyester resists thermal shock, fatigue and punctures.
The components of a polyurethane liquid waterproofing membrane depend on the number of layers. Review these common materials to find the most efficient application for your roof.
- Water-based liquid membranes: This health-friendly, energy-efficient membrane provides excellent UV stability and easy application, especially if your building is in a moderate or warm climate.
- One-component polyurethane liquid membranes: Polyurethane’s flexibility in low temperatures and its ability to cure in various conditions allows you to use it in your location. This material saves time during the installation process.
- Two-component polyurethane liquid membranes: You can apply this material with a two-component spray machine for efficient installation if you have a large roof. It dries and cures rapidly, so you can resume activity in your business space.
Steps in a rooftop waterproofing project
We’ve compiled a list of steps for applying a waterproofing membrane to your rooftop. We provide commercial waterproofing services to make the process easier.
- Clean out the substrate: Cleaning the surface allows a liquid applied membrane to adhere well. Pressure-wash the substrate to clean it and remove debris, dust or grease that could compromise the adhesion. We also inspect the roof for blemishes that affect its resistance to water damage.
- Prime the surface: Apply a primer to the surface to enhance the membrane’s adhesion. Primers can also prevent the bituminous oils from bleeding through to the membrane. Before we apply the primer, we make sure the surface is dry.
- Treat the roof’s details: These details include the interior and exterior corners, wall-to-floor corners, metal flashing terminations and penetrations — such as pipes, vents and drains. Embed reinforcing fabric into the liquid membrane, or use a flashing-grade sealant.
- Apply the liquid membrane: Some liquid membranes need fabric reinforcing mats underneath before installation. The application, substrate porosity, temperature and waste affect the liquid membrane’s consumption rate.
- Inspect the roof: In most projects, we need to inspect the application at each phase. We’ll check the primer’s coverage, the pull-out and mock-up, the detail treatments and the applied coating millage.
If you choose to use a bituminous waterproofing membrane instead, we would follow this procedure:
- Prepare the roof surface: Clean and dry the top of your roof before applying the membrane. We install it in pleasant, warm weather, considering your roof’s slope so that water doesn’t flow to the joint lap edge.
- Connect the torch equipment: The house of the blowtorch should be in good condition.
- Align bituminous rolls: We avoid wrinkling the material, and align them properly.
- Install the membrane: Apply the torch fire uniformly and slowly over the roll as we lay it.
- Inspect the joints between the sheets: Ensure the joints properly adhere to the end laps of the membrane to prevent air gaps. If there are any spaces, lift the sheets, heat them with the torch and reseal them.
Schedule your next waterproof roofing project in Singapore with our service. Our craftspeople specialize in making your building safer. With our experience, we know the right waterproofing materials and how to apply them correctly. Contact us online or call us at +65 8333 7667 for a free quote.