Wall waterproofing, we’ve heard it so many times when it comes down to it, but most of us are yet to know what exactly its function is, where it should be done, and what are the best options available. That’s why in this article we’re going to cover all essential points you need to know about it.
Common waterproofing issues
Dampness or water leakages of walls is a problem most of us are familiar with in Singapore households. Whether it’s in bathroom ceilings, wall areas conjoined with the bathroom, or even some tricky spots on other walls, you must’ve seen big patches of dampness appear. Sometimes, spotted green fungus also appears, and the paint on your wall tends to peel off.
This problem is especially aggravated during the rainy season and can give a depressing look to your house. Moreover, dampness also creates the perfect environment to foster mold, fungus and bacteria, and can have detrimental effects on your health in the long run.
Why is wall waterproofing necessary?
The work of waterproofing the walls of the house (newly built and old houses) is very necessary, to overcome the consequences of the phenomenon of water seepage caused. Include :
- The building is degraded quickly: the peeling, cracking of the concrete. It is a warning sign that your building is deteriorating and contains potential dangers that are unpredictable.
- Loss of aesthetics of the whole building: Concrete cracks, yellow stains, even moss will make the work lose its beauty.
- Potential risk of fire and explosion: Electrical outlets or wall-mounted electrical equipment are inherently considered safe, but when soaked in water for a long time, it will lead to damage, reducing the durability of electronic items in the house. : TV, refrigerator, washing machine…
- A humid environment will be harmful to health: A humid environment for a long time is a favorable condition for mold and bacteria to multiply. When inhaled, it will lead to respiratory diseases such as: rhinitis, sinusitis, skin fungus …
Benefits of wall waterproofing
- Wall waterproofing helps to create a healthier home environment for your family because it only takes 24 – 48 hours for mold to grow on a damp surface. Prolonged exposure to mold can cause asthma, hay fever, and other medical conditions.
- Increase the property value of your home. Mold and water damage can reduce the value of your home up to 25%. A waterproofed home ensures the overall protection and value of your home.
- Increase your wellbeing and decrease your stress. When you waterproof your home, you can rest easy knowing your home, your belongings and your family will be safe without the negative effects that water damage and leaks can bring.
What are our wall waterproofing methods and technologies?
How can you prevent water and mold from affecting your walls? By following the next seven steps to waterproofing the wall.
Check walls for faults:
Waterproofing external walls is the best solution only if the walls become damp as a result of rainwater or moisture. Before shopping around for waterproofing products, it’s important to eliminate any other causes of structural dampness. It could be anything, from cracks in your bricks or condensation within the wall to a burst water pipe. Once you fix the issue, you can apply a waterproofer as a preventative measure.
Clean your gutters:
The problem with clogged gutters isn’t only that they may flow over the edge, down your walls; they also retain rainwater, which is gradually absorbed by the roof’s wood or fascia boards, potentially leading to a series of problems, including rotten wood, leaks, and mold. You can avoid all these and keep your home healthy by simply cleaning your gutters twice a year.
Select the right waterproofing contractor:
A series of waterproofing products are available today to help homeowners protect their homes from external moisture. Here are a few products you should consider:
- Concrete waterproofing coating, which is a cement-like product that adheres to concrete and masonry permanently; it can be applied to any surface, including painted walls;
- Silicate-based concrete sealer, which reacts with the ingredients in masonry and concrete to form a waterproofing coating; this sealer can only be used on unsealed/unpainted walls;
- Waterproofing paint, which is similar to acrylic wall paint, with the main difference that it delivers better waterproofing performance. It’s very important to choose a breathable formulation that is especially designed to allow walls to breathe and eliminate moisture. The product can be applied to surfaces previously painted.
Use plaster waterproofing additive:
Plastering can help improve aesthetics, make walls more solid, and protect them against moisture ingress. Though most exterior plasters have waterproofing characteristics, you can eliminate water infiltration problems and prevent reoccurrence by simply adding a waterproofing admixture to the plaster.
Prepare your walls for waterproofing:
Irrespective of the product chosen for waterproofing exterior walls, you have to bring your walls in good condition first. This means that you need to use a good-quality filler to repair cracks and patch holes. Allow the filler to dry optimally before grinding. Then sand away rough, uneven areas, remove dust by cleaning the surface with water, and let the walls dry completely to ensure a good adhesion between the waterproofer and the substrate.
Apply the waterproofer:
You can use a roller or a brush to apply the waterproofer. If a second coat is required, allow the first coat to fully dry and then apply the second coat. Use enough product to create an impenetrable barrier against infiltration.
Conducting a water-tightness test is very important to evaluate the effectiveness of the products used for waterproofing exterior walls. For this test, water should be sprayed on the wall surface for a couple of hours, keeping the nozzle at a 30-degree angle. Your home will pass the test only if a moisture meter shows there is no moisture. By waterproofing exterior walls, you’ll not only prevent serious damage but also boost the value of your home.
Schedule your next wall waterproof project in Singapore with our service. Our specialist in making your building safer. With our experience, we know the right waterproofing materials and how to apply them correctly. Contact us online or call us at +65 8333 7667 for a wall waterproofing service free quote.