Joint Refurbishment And Sealing
As temperatures change, concrete will expand and contract. This expansion and contraction would result in concrete cracking if not for the installation of expansion joints. When laying concrete, splits or ‘joints’ are cut into the concrete. These joints allow room for expansion and as such prevent cracks.
Expansion joints are edges to the structure and can, over time, become damaged and should be repaired. As well as repairing the joints, flexible sealants can be applied. The sealants add an additional barrier against moisture while still moving with the structure to prevent cracking.
Joint Sealing and Joint Repair
Expansion/control joints are placed in concrete slabs to control random cracking whilst accommodating movement.
Basement Systems offers joint sealing and joint repair solutions that are specifically designed to withstand crack and joint movement due to expansion or contraction.
Our services are currently offered with offices located in Singapore.
Crack and joint sealing, or “caulking”, is used to seal joints and seams. It is an essential part of any construction project or maintenance program to prevent the ingress of water, chemical solutions or other foreign materials through expansion joints.
Caulks and sealants are usually applied with a caulking gun. For this reason, sealants are often referred to as “caulk.”
Both caulks and sealants are used to fill gaps or cracks between building materials, but the main difference between caulk and sealant is elasticity.
- Caulks are fairly rigid when dry and are intended for use in areas with minimal expansion and contraction.
- Sealants are made from flexible material, such as silicone, or a mastic sealant. They cure in an elastic state, bonding to the surfaces of the joint – resulting in a flexible and protective seal.
THE IMPORTANCE OF MAINTENANCE OF INDUSTRIAL FLOOR JOINTS
It goes without saying that the best industrial concrete floor is one that provides a smooth, hard, interruption-free platform for operations.
Unfortunately, concrete floors must have joints – and joints are interruptions in an otherwise continuous surface. Each joint is a potential impact point for hard wheels, pallets, forklift tongs or other hard objects.
Joints are subject to many factors which influence their design and service life. In load-bearing conditions, this service life can be compromised. Joint deterioration, cracks, spalling and water ingress/seepage affect the longevity of the asset.
Warehouse slabs, cold-room floors and driveways are subject to impact damage from forklifts – especially electric forklifts. The small, solid rubber wheels impact upon joint shoulders and any small imperfections on the slab. Often these areas will “grow” rapidly and become a potential risk for operators, the forklift and stock.
THE BENEFITS OF FLOOR JOINT SEALING REHABILITATION:
- The best surface for safe and efficient movement of goods is a smooth, hard and uninterrupted surface.
- Improved productivity of material handling and traffic efficiency.
- Vehicles can move at speed without slowing down to manoeuvre over separated joints.
- Reduced vehicle repair costs and downtime due to wheel replacement.
- Time and Cost-Effective Solution – If left untreated, the defect grows wider and deeper and will eventually require expensive and time-consuming repairs.
- Reduced impact points for hard-wheeled traffic.
- Reduced risk of injuries due to load tipping.
- Reduced risk of claims from drivers due to lower back distress. This can result from jagged movements due to wheels getting caught in gaping and deteriorated floor joints.
Contact Basement Systems today for all your joint sealing and joint repair needs in Singapore!